Tuesday, September 18, 2012

{Simply Frida}


I adore the iconic images associated with Frida Kahlo's style--bright colors, floral hairpieces, statement jewelery.  The subtler side of her style, though, is often overlooked but just as lovely.   


Her bold and playful style seemed to be an extension of her equally strong personality.  One of my favorite stories I've read about Kahlo is when she was bed-ridden but refused to stay home on her exhibit's opening night, arranging to be transported by ambulance and then carried in on her bed.



Photo Copyrighted to Mexico Today

"I was born a bitch. I was born a painter." --Frida Kahlo


For me, fashion's always been a medium for self-expression, a way to contain the many different ideas that exist within me, as well as a way to concretely reflect the slight shifts in self that occur each day, week, month, year, or decade.  As such, I find inspiration in Frida Kahlo as an artist and woman who embraced the multitudes that were within her.  



No comments:

Post a Comment