Monday, October 29, 2012

{A Sharpened Tongue: Dorothy Parker}


I first read Dorothy Parker when I was eighteen, and she was one of those writers who made me want to become a writer.  She had the perfect balance of irreverence and wit, and, instead of brooding about life's difficulties (particularly as a female), she simply made fun of them.  That's who I wanted to be. 

I know more about her writing style than her fashion, but I did find a few pictures below that capture her simple, no-nonsense style.  Short hair, black dress, nice necklace--easy and classy.   

  

“A little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika.”


  “Take me or leave me; or, as is the usual order of things, both.”
 






“There was a reason for the cost of those perfectly plain black dresses.”
 

“If you're going to write, don't pretend to write down. It's going to be the best you can do, and it's the fact that it's the best you can do that kills you.”
― Dorothy Parker

No comments:

Post a Comment