Thursday, March 13, 2014

Creating My Happy Place by Renée Foster

The journey to creating my happy place was a long one, but not a complicated one. As far back as I can remember I have loved displaying my favorite people, things, and memories (photos) all over my walls.


This was my desk when I was 14. My love for Ricky Martin was real, and it was well-represented in my room (as you can see). You'll also see other gems such as Freddie Prinze Jr. and Chris Kirkpatrick (of *NSYNC).


Zoom out to see I also had an appreciation for Leonardo DiCaprio, X-Files, and Jesus. Anyway, a mere 5 years later, I got married at the ripe old age of 19. I quickly learned that the way my home looked was no longer solely up to me. I have one of those husbands who really cares what is on our walls and where furniture goes, etc. As a result, for the past 10 years I have been gathering a lot of decorative items that only I like into boxes--hoping that one day I would again have a space that is ONLY mine. Finally, we have a house where I have my own home office (a necessity, as I work from home and have two kids).

Along with the blessing of having a space that is 100% my own came the challenge of turning my childish collage-style tendencies into a space where adult-me could feel clean and organized, while still somehow displaying everything I love.

Here's what I came up with:


I have about 1 million pictures that I love that have been saved and viewed on my computer only, so I decided to have one gallery-style wall, and three large photo collages.


Almost all of the furniture and frames are from garage sales. The rest is from Ikea. That shelf is where I put all of my journals, yearbooks, trophies, and books that I love. I chose periwinkle as the color of the walls because it's feminine, but different, and it changes colors depending on the light (sometimes it's blue, sometimes it's purple). Then I added all of the twinkle lights last because the room needed a little more magic.


It's so delightful to see my little girls run and play around among the many pictures of my ancestors, my childhood, and my favorite things.


No comments:

Post a Comment